• This collection of familiar carols is suited for late first-year and second-year players.
• Keys used range from D major to C major.
• Violin and Viola parts stay in first position. Cello and bass parts use a few shifts.
• Some units units have
short preparatory exercises which focus on particular teaching points. Often these are instrument specific, but a
few minutes spent with these exercises will pay off.
• A piano accompaniment is provided for each tune. These are in mp3 format. These encourage the students
to maintain a tempo and adjust intonation to the harmonic context.
• Lyrics are provided for many for community singing.
• In this multi-cultural era in which we live, teachers will need to use judgement in how to use these in a public school setting. Whereas there are obvious religious connections to these melodies, they are common knowledge to most students. In most learning it is productive to proceed from “knowns” to “unknowns.” When students are beginning to learn an instrument,
getting something familiar to sound right is a rewarding experience.
• Teachers may use these units as “extra credit” or “choice” projects for students.
• For similar non-religious tunes, check out the EARLY TUNES section of this website.